Skip to main content

Professional Resources

Physical disabilities support

The advice and support which was provided by the Physical disabilities support service is now covered in the work of other involved education and health professionals.

You can seek support from:

  • The council’s 0-5 Early years service - early years professionals can refer to a specialist education panel to request involvement from an  educational psychologist or early years special educational needs inclusion service professional
  • Public health nurses: Health visitors (0 – 5); school nurses (5 – 19). Part of ‘Healthy together’, 0 – 19 Healthy child programme services.
  • Other health services eg. Occupational therapists; Physiotherapists; Speech and language therapists; via GP or SPOC referral, Bridge Park Plaza
  • Diana Service, Bridge Park Plaza
  • Specialist nurses at Leicester Royal Infirmary (eg. diabetes, epilepsy etc)
  • 0 – 19 Neighbourhood teams (health clinicians). Area teams include – School nurses; Health visitors; Speech and language therapists; Assistant practitioners; Care navigators; other therapists.
  • The council’s Disabled children’s service: advice and support for children and families. Disabled children’s service OTs assess and recommend equipment and adaptations for the child’s home. Referrals can be made via Children’s first response – contact First response children’s duty team on  0116 305 0005 or email:
  • The council’s Health, safety and wellbeing service: advice on health and safety aspects in schools including – ‘Moving and handling training’; risk assessments etc.
  • The council’s Property services - Property, facilities management and site development: advice regarding adaptations and changes to school buildings; environmental audits etc.
  • Assistive technology for education support team, Specialist teaching service (ATfEST): advice regarding assistive technology, email ATfEST support educational settings in their work with children and young people who have physical, communication and / or sensory difficulties, to enable access to the national curriculum through the use of assistive technology.
  • Hearing support team, Specialist teaching service, email
  • Vision support team, Specialist teaching service, email
  • Multi-sensory impairment advice via the Vision support team, Specialist teaching service, email
  • PDnet online advice and support for professionals in education who support children and young people with physical disabilities; funded by Dfe – schools can register quickly and for free.
  • Leicestershire healthy schools, all enquiries should be directed to Jane Roberts, Health and wellbeing manager - email or  
  • Leicestershire healthy tots programme, call 0116 305 0705 or email
  • Outreach support from special schools:


To coordinate transition for children and young people with physical disabilities to a new phase of education, campus and/or environment:

  • The feeder setting or school SENDCo should organise a Multi-Agency meeting (to include child or young person, family, involved health professionals and receiving school/college SENDCo).
  • Where the child or young person has an EHCP this would be included in an early Transition Review held by the feeder / current setting or school.
  • At secondary level, transition planning and preparing for adulthood should begin at Year 9 using the EHCP Transition documents.
  • For transitions to FE level education, personal budgets may need to be considered so that the young person and their family can be confident that suitable resources can be organised to facilitate their inclusion and access.
Top of page