Get the latest Good Food Leicestershire news direct to your inbox by signing up to our newsletter. We’ll send you details of upcoming events, news about what’s going on around the county, updates on our growing network and much more.
Email email@example.com to sign up!
Council serves up county food plan
A new scheme to encourage healthy and sustainable living across Leicestershire has been launched by the county council.
The Good Food Charter has been made public today and the authority is asking businesses and organisations to pledge their support.
The Charter is part of a wider plan which sees Leicestershire join only 55 other places across the UK and Ireland to be accepted as a member of Sustainable Food Places – a national movement towards more sustainable food systems. Leicestershire is the first full County member of Sustainable Food Places taking a unique approach which also supports local food action in partnership with Melton Borough Council and Harborough District Council.
Those that sign up to the Charter will support the council and partners to:
- promote healthy and sustainable food
- alleviate food poverty and diet–related ill health and improve access to affordable healthy food
- build community skills and knowledge across all aspects of food – including cooking, growing and healthy choices
- enhance the local food economy
- provide access to more sustainable catering and food procurement
- reduce food waste and the ecological footprint of food
Good Food Leicestershire marks the start of a long-term strategy to make Leicestershire a healthy and sustainable county.
The Charter recognises the strong role that food plays across the community and sets out our vision to tackle growing health issues, reduce the impact of poverty, cut food waste and address environmental impacts.
Person:Spokesperson for Leicestershire County Council
View more information about Sustainable Food Places.
Good Food news
No upcoming events.