Private investment in supported living accommodation

Here are some frequently asked questions for private individuals and families looking to invest in supported living accommodation.

Temporary hold on responding to new proposals for accommodation

As stated in the quarterly demand of August 2023, there are several developments planned across the County in the next 2 years. This places us in a good position to meet the level of demand. There is confidence that most of these schemes will be completed between now and 2025. 

We are therefore unable to respond to any new proposals for accommodation until April 2024.

In the interim, urgent, or specific accommodation need emerging during this time is likely to be based on the needs of individuals i.e., supporting hospital discharge or residential care home closure. These needs will be communicated via the Dynamic Purchasing System (DPS) in the first instance.

For further information, please see our SCIP market statement:

Should you require any clarification on the above please email

How can home ownership be achieved if you have a long-term disability?

Home ownership may be a viable option for you if you or your family have access to funds to meet a deposit and legal fees.

There is a scheme called Home ownership for those with a long-term disability (HOLD), where the objective is for an individual to achieve low-cost shared ownership of a property that is on the open market. 

HOLD is available (subject to lender approval) to people aged 18 or over with long-term disabilities including physical and learning disabilities, cognitive and sensory impairments, and enduring mental health issues. 

Local advice on the support available for home ownership is available at via Advance Housing - the agent for the scheme in Leicestershire. Their website has detailed information about HOLD, including a step-by-step guide, of some frequently asked questions and an enquiry form.

How can I sell or rent out my private property for supported living?

Statutory housing responsibility rests with the district and borough councils. We don't have a housing function to buy or rent properties from private individuals for supported living.

If you have a property you think may be suitable for supported living, you may wish to consider selling or leasing the property to a registered social housing provider (RP), otherwise known as a housing association to use as supported living.

What are housing associations and how to establish property arrangements

These are organisations that are run independently from the Council and are the main developers of new homes in the social housing sector.

A list of registered providers of social housing can be found on the government’s webpage for registered providers of social housing.

You may also wish to consider leasing your property to a registered provider or private landlord for the purpose of supported living.

Which option you choose will influence the level of rent or service charge that the property can attract.  There are differing rent regimes which are governed by revenues and benefits.

Establishing property arrangements and rent setting activities are not within the remit of the Social care investment team. We suggest that independent advice is sought at the earliest stage and before any financial investment or commitment.

The support or care arrangements for any tenants who come to live in the property must be carried out by a CQC (Care Quality Commission) registered supported living provider under the current support arrangements in place and overseen by us.

Further information can be found on our Become a supported living provider for Leicestershire.

How can I use my property for supported living for my relative?

Planning for the future, particularly if you are aging parents who are continuing to care for your children within the family home, is a positive step to ensure that the wishes and the future inheritance of your loved one is protected and included within legal frameworks.

Whilst an existing family home could, in the future, be utilised as a shared supported accommodation scheme with your loved one in place, this requires several factors to be considered. 

In general, supported living properties are leased by the owner of the property to a registered housing provider (or landlord) who then works alongside a CQC registered care provider to provide the care or support service. The tenant rent liability is covered by their welfare benefits, and our Adult Social Care service covers the cost of individual's support needs. 

The property side is not managed by the local authority and individuals will have their own tenancy agreement. 

Supported living properties need to conform to certain regulatory standards which may need investment into the property to ensure it is compliant.

For families intending that either the family home or other assets are secured for the benefit of their loved one in the future, it is advisable to seek independent advice from an organisation such as Mencap, or legal advice to be fully informed ahead of making your decisions.