Funding is currently available for children with SEND, who live in Leicestershire, and who attend or would like to attend an Out of School setting and require the support to do so.
Not all children with special educational needs require additional help to be successfully included in settings, indeed most settings meet the additional needs of children very well. However, in some circumstances children with additional needs can benefit from a higher than usual staffing ratio.
The funding is intended to contribute towards identified additional support costs, with the rate set at £7.50 per hour and paid termly. Funding is also available towards training and resources.
If you have children who you think would benefit from this funding please complete the relevant application, agree to the terms of the grant and return to the Early Years Inclusion and Childcare Service. This will then be put to a funding panel for approval.
In the first instance, please look at the funding chart and decide which funding you need to apply for. Once decided, please scroll down to find the correct funding criteria and relevant application form.
OOS funding online application form
- Applications will no longer be accepted ad hoc, and as funding is no longer backdated, providers must ensure they are submitted no later than the pre-panel date for the term they are applying for. Additional Panel dates have been provided within each term for those children who start later in a term or to allow for children’s transition and a settling in period to take place before deciding if an application for funding needs to be made. All regular Pre-panel and Full Panel dates for the year have been set, , and this is when all online applications will be accessed, and funding awarded by the panel if the criteria is met and funding constraints allow. Submission of the correct online application, either full or repeat, will provide the Panel with an overview of what funding the children may have had previously, the changes to children’s needs, any changes in circumstance; including strategies that have been put into place, as well as feedback from previous monitoring visits, will support Panel in their decision making.
- Having the Panel dates published on our webpage will also allow providers to forward plan for the children and know what funding they have been awarded.
- The onus will be on providers to not automatically put in for 1-1 funding but to think if this is actually the best scenario for the child.
The panel will be looking that the needs of the child have been scrutinised to ascertain what support is needed and how this will benefit the child. They will also be looking to see what strategies the setting have put into place prior to applying for funding. This could be implementing for instance, the Positive Behaviour Support Toolkit, Backward Dressing and the Sensory Toolkit, which are all available on our dedicated Out of School Support and Resource webpage.
Additional funding could be towards additional adult support, for certain times of the day only, a shared support worker with other children with identified needs, for time limited support to support the child with transitions e.g. when a child first starts at your provision, or towards training and resources.
- A child that has 1-1 support at school through an Education Health Care Plan will not automatically be awarded 1-1 funding for the OOS.
School support is awarded for education. An OOS is a different environment and it is expected the OOS application will reflect this.
- Please ensure you read the funding criteria fully before making your application.
Dates of funding panels
School holiday panel dates
- 29 November 2022 - Christmas Holiday
- 4 March 2023 - Easter Holiday
- 20 June 2023 - Summer Holiday
Spring term 2023
- 10 January – Pre-panel (applications to be received by this date)
- 17 January – Panel
- 28 February – Pre-panel (applications to be received by this date)
- 7 March – Panel
Summer term 2023
- 25 April – Pre-panel (applications to be received by this date)
- 2 May – Panel
- 6 June – Pre-panel (applications to be received by this date)
- 13 June – Panel
Autumn term 2023
- 5 September – Pre-panel (applications to be received by this date)
- 12 September – Panel
- 7 November – Pre-panel (applications to be received by this date)
- 14 November – Panel
Applications should be received by the Friday before the panel date, holiday clubs may apply retrospectively in the case of the half term holidays if relevant.
Short Break Inclusion Funding
Short Break Inclusion Funding may be available to support a child aged 0-18 years with SEND who lives in Leicestershire to access a provision as stated in the criteria. The Children and Family Wellbeing Service will have identified that it would be of benefit to the child and family to access this provision as a Short Break. Applications can only be submitted following a joint consultation between the provision, the family, the Play and Leisure Inclusion Officer.
Short breaks inclusion funding criteria 2023-2024 Opens new window
For any more information about any of the strands of special educational needs funding, please contact the Early Years Inclusion and Childcare Service on 0116 305 7136.