Mainstream schools and disability

Schools should ensure that young people with a disability are supported according to their individual needs.

Support for schools

Support available to schools

Specialist Teaching Services

Your school may apply to get support from an Advisory Teacher through our Specialist Teaching Services.

Advisory Teachers are qualified in the teaching of children with disabilities and can provide advice and support to the schools of children and young people with disabilities and the staff working with them including SENCOs, teachers and teaching assistants.

The support can include:

  • liaison with other agencies and health professionals
  • partnership work with parents and carers
  • advice on curriculum access and examination arrangements
  • advice on accessibility and adaptations to the school environment and equipment
  • health and safety advice
  • training as required

Advisory Teachers can also offer schools support for children or young people with medical conditions

See getting specialist support for schools for more information.

How to apply for help

To apply for support, contact our Specialist Teaching Services. 

SEND code of practice

Your school has a duty to comply with the statutory guidance Special educational needs and disability code of practice: 0 to 25 years. Chapter 6 highlights the guidance for schools.